Wednesday, November 2, 2011

When life gives you lemons, ask for a hug

I had a bit of a day yesterday.

It all started out okay. We all got up, got dressed, and got Kate to school.

So far, so good.

Next up was the dentist for David.

And the point where my day declines.

They found a bunch of cavities at his last regular check up and we've been slowly having them filled. And, oh, they found another cavity!
Each time they do they ask a series of questions:
You know, he really needs to brush on a regular basis. Is he brushing is teeth?
Hmmm. It must be all that snacking he does, does he have lots of soda and candy?
Do you ever floss his teeth?

What I hear:
You are a really horrible mother, don't you brush your kids teeth!
I can't believe what you feed this kid. Bad mommy!

So, I may have been brought to tears in the pediatrics dentists office, next to the little chairs with unicorns and rainbows all over the walls.

The dentist asked me if I needed a hug. I declined. But, I feel like I have learned that lesson -- when someone offers a hug, you take it.

What brought on the tears? I think partially frustration. I am in charge of brushing and flossing now, not David, since the cavities. So, I am taking something away from a very independent 5 year old (we also use the words stubborn and strong willed) and the process has been stressful. And, I just can't make him go through getting a cavity filled again. He was a trooper, but, was in tears and crying during parts of the procedure.

So, we get through it, get Kate, get home and enjoy our lunch and a quick trip to grandma and grandpas.

I promise the zoo for the afternoon. Hooray! The zoo!

We get there at 3:08pm. As of November 1 (yesterday) the zoo closes at 3:00pm.

Crap.

Kate is hysterical. (but mommy, you said we could go to the zoo - in between sobs).

Sigh. Totally not my day.

Plan B - a quick trip to the library and then home for dinner.

As I am making dinner, I notice that I can't hear Kate.
I find her in the bathroom. She's had an accident of the messy variety and has tried to clean it and herself up.

Crap.

Literally.

All over.

Look, I'm not going to be graphic, but I think you can imagine how things may have looked.

I somehow manage to get the bathroom cleaned up (You could probably eat off my bathroom floor and tub after all the bleach I used. Not that I would suggest it. It's just too soon.) and dinner made, books read and kids to bed.

I sometimes find myself thinking "I can't."
I can't. I can't. I can't. I cant. I cant.
Yesterday was one of those days.

But, I do.

Today was a bad day, tomorrow will be better.

(and it was)






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment