Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Prologue

It feels weird to be home today, nothing to do and no where to go.

When we left summer vacation was just starting, and now, here we are at home with the summer before us and it all sort of seems weird. Nothing to do and no where to go.

Planning for the trip started about 10 weeks ago - hotel reservations, where we would stop, the routes we would take. But, the idea for the trip had been something Mike and I had been talking about for some time. The timing never right though, or the kids not old enough.

My mom rented a house for a week in Rockaway Beach, OR. The original plan had been to fly in to Portland and stay the week on the beach. But, then we had thought, it would be nice to see my brother and sister-in-laws new house in Seattle. And, the redwoods. And (since we were so close) San Francisco. When one of us said, "Well, why don't we just drive." And the idea took root. And started to grow.

Twelve years ago Mike and I and our friend Tom took a similar trip cross country to go to the High Sierra Music festival in Quincy, CA. Mike and I got engaged on that trip, somewhere in the middle of Wyoming. It had been such an amazing trip, watching out the window as the land and features of our country ebbed and flowed and changed. It had felt like magic.

Over the past 3 weeks, we traveled around 6500 miles through 16 states. It was an amazing trip. I am glad to be home, but, if we could get back in the car and do it all again, I would.

I had meant to blog during the trip, but we were always so exhausted by the time we ended our days. If I had been to write before the trip, I would have described the anticipation, the excitement. Twelve years ago, life quite literally changed as a result of the trip. Mike and I married, had two children. I don't know if any change will come of this trip. But, now that we are home, that same feeling is there. My world is bigger, my eyes open, my heart full.







1 comment:

  1. I really loved watching your trip updates on Facebook. It seemed like an amazing, fun journey and made me want to get in the car. I love a road trip, but I've never done one that long.

    ReplyDelete