Monday, December 19, 2011

In the kitchen with Kate

I'm not a huge fan of baking. The preciseness and exactness of it has always been a bit of a turn off. Baking powder and baking soda are two different things, a half a cup of sugar is a half a cup of sugar, I can't try using sour cream instead of milk ...

Kate loves baking. Loves it.

She wants to taste and smell and mix everything.

Kate: What does baking soda taste like.
Me: Smell it. You aren't going to like it.
Kate: (smells it) But, what does it taste like
Me: Try it and see Kate
Kate: (tries it) I don't like it.

Kate and I have been busy making Christmas cookies this week and it has been so much fun - messy, sticky, sugary, gooey fun.

My mom and I would always make cookies together around Christmas. She would wait until I got home from college to do them as I got older.

There's something comforting and familiar about making cookies at Christmas, the same ones that we've always made, year after year.

People and places have changed, life has grown more complicated - but, I still always have peanut butter kiss and snowball cookies for Christmas.

It's been a good reminder of what the season is really all about. Family. Memories. Traditions.

And cookies.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment